It's About Time: December Daily Part One

Thursday, February 13, 2014

This past December was one of the most emotionally draining months of my life... I don't know how to begin putting it into words. The events that took place made it difficult to be festive. I had already invested in an album and supplies for December Daily, and I was determined to still create one. Right up to the new year, I still was unsure how the whole album would come together. I worked on it throughout the month, and it became a way to process and heal. In the midst of chaos and confusion, God used this "hobby" to remind me of the numerous blessings still present. I spent plenty of hours crying and laying and crying some more while working to complete it. On December 31st, I closed it, walked away, and left everything behind. I couldn't have been more excited to welcome a new year. 

Today, in the midst of all the beautiful snow falling outside my window, I picked up the album and studied the contents once more. This time with a sense of excitement and joy. Valentine's Day is quickly approaching, but I just don't care. It's time to share the pages. So join me in viewing the first of three blog posts documenting December 2013. 

December Daily Simple Stories Cover
I'm not exaggerating when I say I carried this album with me everywhere, working on it whenever I had some free time. Therefore, the edges of the cover need to be sanded again and I a few star rhinestones have fallen off. Next time, I'll wait to complete the cover or take better care of it. If anything, it perfectly describes the month - pretty with a few rough edges.

Merry and Bright Layout
I used a SN@P album from Simple Stories with a variety of page protectors. The journaling cards were from Studio Calico, Becky Higgins, and Simple Stories. I embellished with BasicGrey's 25th & Pine, Bo Bunny's Woodland Winter, and past Studio Calico Kits. Just a little bit of everything... 

The album came with three cardstock dividers that I covered with patterned paper. I planned to document all 31 days of December; therefore, I used the dividers to create three sections of 10 days. I wasn't sure how full the album would be given the circumstances, so I created a few filler pages like the one above which became the first page of the album. 

December Daily Simple Stories
Day 1: I told these cuties about my album, and they were more than happy to pose for my very first picture. 

December Daily
Day 2: Just another day at work. December 2nd was a Monday, but I described Small Business Saturday which took place days earlier and the impact it had. Two more filler pages and some shopping with my momma. Christmas came early since my roommate needed to move out leaving me without a set of pans. 

December Daily Simple Stories
Day 3: Our first snowfall. I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut an insert with fitting song lyrics. 

December Daily Silhouette Cut Insert
December Daily Silhouette Cut Insert
Day 4: A work accomplishment and my thoughts.

December Daily
Day 5: Even more work stuff. It was fun to document all the different parts of the job, including a Copic class taught that evening.

Wood Veneer Pocket
I cut one of the page protectors in half to create an insert for two 4x4 photos. I added journaling and wood veneers to the one side of protector and machine sewed it shut. Also note: It took me this long to realize I spelt magic with A "J" WHAT?! WHY?! 

December Daily
December Daily
Flip Pocket Washi Tape
Day 6: Shopping, Starbucks, and a funny moment documented. I didn't want some of the journaling showing as it contained personal events that seemed a little heavy for the photos it accompanied. Therefore, I used a piece of washi tape to adhere the photo to a journaling card. It made for a fun element to flip.

Envelope Mini Album Insert
My best friend sadly lost her mother the day before Thanksgiving. I included an envelope which holds a letter, extra pictures, and personal thoughts on our friendship, the funeral, and planning (I took them out of the envelope for the picture). When she needed to clear her head and get out of the house, Starbucks and I were there. So I included one of the gift cards shaped as a drink on the outside of the envelope with the date. 

Simple Stories December Daily
Day 7: The first party of the holiday season. I included a picture of my wrapped White Elephant gift and some thoughts on the party.

Simple Stories December Daily
This was also the day that I chipped my front tooth. I first lost my two front teeth in an accident more than 10 years ago. So let's face it - It was time something awkward happened to them again. This journaling card seemed to fit with the situation. 

First Tooth Layout
Day 8: Ironically, my nephew cut his first tooth as I chipped one of mine. I snapped a few pictures of the smiling babe while at lunch. 

Holiday Mini Album
I also added a large photo of my outfit and the fresh snow from this day. Vellum pieces and sequins were added directly to the photo with Glossy Accents and my favorite Tiny Attacher.  

December Daily BasicGrey
I covered the back of the photo with patterned paper and used Attach Me Stickers from BasicGrey to include it in the album. These stickers are my new favorite thing. I love that they're made from a hard plastic and are not easily damaged. 

December Daily
Whew. All that in just 8 days. Thanks for walking through that journey with me once again. We are not made up of just the positive pieces of our life. It's a combination of the good and the bad, the easy and the difficult, and I'm thankful I was able to journal and document it all in this little album. This album was all for me. To process, to heal, to reflect. Have you ever used scrapbooking as a way to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs